Thursday 19 July 2012

Summer Holiday Reads

Summer has always been a time of reading for me, as a child my family rarely went abroad as we had a touring caravan and therefore explored most of England and Scotland instead. That left plenty of time when it was raining to sit in the front of the caravan, listening to the rain and reading by the light of the overhead lamp I would claim as mine every holiday.
Now years have passed and said caravan has been sold to a family friend and now I am holidaying with DB's family as my parents head south, but the summer read persists in my brain. Even in years when my reading has dropped down to about 5 or 6 books a year, the majority of those would be read during the summer holidays in the garden or by the patio doors stretched out in whatever sunlight I could find. Yes, apparently I am a cat.

This year is no different and I spent last night deciding which books would be my reads of this summer holidays, I shall list them here and review them when I return.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

 

Having been intently watching the Lizzie Bennet Diaries since it began this year I've decided to finally start to read the original source material. I've seen enough spin offs (Bride and Prejudice, Lost in Austen) to have a good idea of the story, but I'm sure this won't take away from the original!

Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett

 
 I've read a couple of the Discworld novels ever since I saw the TV adaptation of Hogfather and thought it was fantastic. Death has always been my favourite character and this one seems to feature him heavily which I'm sure will leave me very happy.

Hungry, the Stars and Everything by Emma Jane Unsworth


 Unsworth is the partner of Guy Garvey, lead singer of Elbow my favourite band, and if she's half as talented with words as he is I'm sure this will be a fantastic read. Her blog isn't half bad either! (Although it hasn't been updated in a while)

A Fool's Paradise by Elmify

 
A story written by Elmify of YouTube fame, whilst she was in high school. She read an excerpt in a video and it seemed really interesting and it cost me all of £1.50 so I didn't see why not! You should definitely check out her videos, they are hilarious and wonderfully eloquent.


So those are my summer reads, I shall review them all upon my return! What are you planning to read this summer? Anything recommended by Richard and Judy? Me neither...

No comments:

Post a Comment