Thursday 10 May 2012

Currently Reading: The Marriage Plot

Oh Jeffrey Euginides, you've pulled it back for me again.
I started off this book really disliking the main character, Madeleine, feeling she was spoilt and arrogant but, not only have my feelings changed, but I have been drawn so significantly into the plot in such a short time. I started reading this book yesterday and am already over a quarter of the way through.

To sum up how I'm feeling, here is a what I posted on my tumblr about 2 hours ago when I put the book down after reading a substantial amount in a short amount of time:


"You know when you get so engrossed in a book that you can’t remember turning the pages, you don’t remember what was playing over your headphones, all you can think about is the story and the characters and the pain and the joy in their heads.
It’s been so long since I had that.
Thanks again Jeffrey Eugenides."


I was so stuck in the book I didn't want to stop reading, but I had to force myself to, not only because I had to read about German Federalism for my first exam next Wednesday, but also because I didn't want to finish it too quickly. All too often I can get engrossed in a book, finish it in a day and then feel this enormous sense of loss and a feeling that I wished I'd spread it out a bit more. So here's my attempt today. I have put it down. Because I want to spend more time with these characters, even if the majority of it is simply inside my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment