Saturday 10 November 2012

FINISHED: Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (no spoilers)

This book chewed me up and spit me out. It was beautiful and heartbreaking and just... everything you needed in a book about a break up.

Min (short for Minerva...) is our main character, she likes old movies at her local independent cinema, spending time with her friend Al, baking... other things.
We follow her relationship with the popular Ed Slaterton through a letter she is writing to him after their break up.

It is beautifully written, cutting between the past and the present in the way that a letter of this nature would. The illustrations are gorgeous (I think I may have to buy the hardback to appreciate them fully) and really add to the story.

Handler writes Min so well, you identify with her immediately, feel what she feels, recognise in your own life things that have happened to her.

I was so impressed with this book, it was almost unrecognisable from 'A Series of Unfortunate Events', as it should be. I hope he continues to write for older readers.

If anything, the story was a bit predicable, but I think that was partly the point, that Min should have seen it all coming and ended the relationship long before they did. So impressed if rather bereft.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment